Deadline: 4 October 2021
The Centre for the Study of Existential Risk (CSER) invites applications for an Academic Programme Manager, with either part-time or full-time appointments considered (0.6 FTE or above). This is a Senior Research Associate role, which combines research and management responsibilities. CSER is an interdisciplinary research centre that studies global catastrophic risks. Our expertise has been sought by governments, leading technology companies and the United Nations. In the midst of a global pandemic, climate change, nuclear modernisation and rapid advances in AI and biotechnology, now is a crucial time for research on extreme risks. The Academic Programme Manager will have an opportunity for real impact, as part of a supportive and collaborative team.
The post-holder will join CSER's senior management team, working alongside the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and other line managers. The post-holder will play a central role in the operation and delivery of research programmes, including management of major research projects and areas, line management of postdoctoral researchers, strategic planning, and fundraising. It is expected that the post-holder will also engage in individual and collaborative academic research within areas relevant to CSER's broad research aims. We are looking for an ambitious candidate with initiative and a broad intellectual range.
Among other criteria, applicants should have:
- A high level of education, preferably to a PhD level, and at least three years postdoctoral research experience or equivalent experience in a relevant setting (e.g. policy, industry, NGO).
- Demonstrable ability to engage in strategic planning.
- Expertise in some area relevant to CSER's research, or extreme risks more broadly; an interest in the research foci of the centre
- Experience in project management and ability to lead research programmes, plan and coordinate the work and resources of a research team.
- Experience in supporting personal and professional development of others and willingness to take on line management responsibilities.
How to apply
The closing date for applications is midnight (BST) on Monday 4 October 2021. Interviews will be conducted online and are planned for the week commencing 11th October, subject to confirmation.
The funds for this post are available for 2 years in the first instance.