- 48 Criminal prosecutions were brought in non-terrorist disasters and tragedies prior to 2000. 152 have occurred as of September 2016 in the New Millennium.
- Over 60% of the New Millennium cases are in Asia and the Pacific Islands, with India and China in the vanguard.
- The cases arise in both civil law and common law jurisdictions.
- Most cases involve structural problems and maritime accidents.
- Many include government officials among the defendants.
This paper was published in a Special Issue of Futures edited by Dr Adrian Currie, which collected many papers which were originally presented at our first 2016 Cambridge Conference on Catastrophic Risk in 2016.