Today, the EU High-Level Expert Group (HLEG) on AI released their ethics guidelines for trustworthy artificial intelligence.
Our co-founder, Jaan Tallinn, was one of the 52 HLEG experts, drawn from tech companies, NGOs and academia. Haydn Belfield and Shahar Avin contributed advice to the HLEG.
The guidelines put forward a set of 7 key requirements that AI systems should meet in order to be deemed trustworthy. A specific assessment list aims to help verify the application of each of the key requirements:
- Human agency and oversight
- Technical Robustness and safety
- Privacy and data governance
- Diversity, non-discrimination and fairness
- Societal and environmental well-being
The Guidelines were welcomed by the European Commission, the Financial Times, and many in the field of AI ethics.